In 1974, the Cedar Rapids Community School District established an alternative high school in a red brick firehouse. Metro began, with 3 teachers and 40 students, to provide an alternative high school classroom setting. By 1978, the school expanded to include an additional campus, and in 1982 both locations merged into a newer, more spacious building at 1212 7th Street SE.
Metro’s educational program is designed to provide a variety of learning options to meet the Cedar Rapids School District’s graduation requirements. Our guiding philosophy is contained in our name:
Mastering Educational Tasks Regardless of Obstacles.
Newsletters currently scanned and viewable online.